Jerold R. Kassner, MBA, CMA
|11 Owen Road||774.240.1390|
|Norton, MA 02766||JRKassner@gmail.com|
SEASONED FINANCIAL BUSINESS ADVISOR
Results-oriented financial and business advisor with broad experience in all aspects of financial management in both small and large companies. Considerable experience in consumer goods, apparel, manufacturing and distribution industries. Hands-on and highly effective advisor with comprehensive technical skills in all aspects of financial management and analysis. Accomplishments in financial and management accounting, working capital management, turnaround and crisis management, business planning, financial modeling, treasury management, corporate governance, and restructuring. Key skills and accomplishments include:
- Hands-on experience leading complex financial organizations for middle-market public and private companies including internal, management and SEC reporting, profitability analysis (gross margin, customer, product, brand, ), cost accounting, treasury, risk management, budgeting, financial modeling and planning, credit and collections and payroll.
- Managed the search process for appropriate seasonal financing and led the negotiations in closing various favorable credit facilities including both asset-based and commercial loan Directed the analysis and negotiations for a major sale-leaseback transaction that provided $6.2 million of liquidity and conceived and negotiated innovative terms of sale for an out-of-service production facility to virtually eliminate the seller’s liability associated with required environmental remediation of approximately $1.0 million. Renegotiated domestic workers compensation coverage to save in excess of $500,000 during the first year.
- Coordinated and organized all due diligence, data collection and analysis for the sale of Swank, to a strategic buyer and Ira Green, Inc. to a financial buyer. Represented both companies in discussions and negotiations with investment bankers and the buyers’ representatives. Directed the windup and distributions to participants of a complex employee stock ownership plan. Led the establishment of an international manufacturing joint venture (Costa Rica) and Swank’s first representative office in Dongguan, China.
AYRE ARCHITECTURAL LIGHTING, INC. EASTON, MA
Fractional Chief Financial Officer
Ayre, an early-stage privately held company, provides custom and design-based energy-efficient lighting solutions for both commercial and consumer applications.
IRA GREEN, INC., PROVIDENCE, RI
2015 – 2016
Chief Financial Officer
Ira Green, a privately-held company, manufactures and distributes military insignias, decorations, medals, accessories, and related equipment for the U.S. armed services .The Company also manufactures costume jewelry on a contract basis. Company was acquired by Summer Street Capital Partners in April 2016.
Direct all aspects of accounting and finance, treasury, planning and analysis, banking, and general administration. Provide operational support for CEO and senior management team. Implemented and enhanced controls over financial transactions, re-engineered monthly closing process and improved reporting capabilities. Work closely with production and operations leadership to identify and correct control weaknesses and enhance workflow reporting and analysis.
SWANK, INC., TAUNTON, MA
1988 – 2014
Vice President – Finance and Chief Financial Officer (1999 – 2014)
Swank is a $140 million (public) distributor, manufacturer and marketer of consumer goods. Company was acquired by Randa Accessories Leather Goods LLC in May 2012.
- Key member of management team providing financial and operational support to senior sales, marketing, and distribution Principal liaison from the finance functions to various operational senior managers as well as to the Company’s board of directors, bankers, and shareholders.
- Re-engineered financial, working capital, variance and SEC reporting leading to quicker, more accurate closings and more meaningful margin, contribution, and instituted a “plain English” operational analysis for senior Developed critical analyses for contribution margin, working capital (inventory), return on capital invested, and other key performance indicators.
- Re-tooled the Company’s annual operating plan and instituted a consistent cash flow forecasting process leading to improved operating results and a reduction in working capital investment of approximately $6.0
- Conceived and designed an “open to buy” analytical tool used to better manage, forecast, and control working capital investment, particularly Established improved management accountability which led to a reduction in overall inventory levels leading to reduced working capital needs, external borrowings, and interest expense.
- Led the Swank team in the sale of the company to Randa Accessories resulting in a higher price than anticipated and successful cash-out for retirement planVice President – Corporate Controller (1997 – 1999)
- Immediately re-structured monthly financial reporting package to include “management discussion and analysis” section for senior operating managers which provided actionable commentary on financial
- Managed budgeting and planning, financial analysis, risk management, selected SEC reporting, and working capital management in addition to credit, accounts payable, payroll, financial analysis, external (SEC) reporting, andAssistant Treasurer (1990 – 1997) / Senior Financial Analyst (1988 – 1990)
- Managed annual budget process and periodic long term planning exercise; provided critical support for negotiations involving complex revolving credit facilities; and established the company’s first automated treasury management
MEDIPLEX GROUP, INC., NEWTON, MA
1987 – 1988
Mediplex was $200 million owner/operator of long-term care, rehabilitation, and psychiatric care facilities. Company was sold by its then-parent, Avon Products, Inc., in 1988 to an investor group.
Budget Manager / Director of Budgets and Planning
Developed comprehensive budgeting and planning model. Coordinated monthly budget meetings with CEO and other senior managers.
UNITRODE CORPORATION , LEXINGTON, MA
1984 – 1987
Unitrode was a $200 million multi-divisional, multi-national manufacturer of electronic parts and components including semiconductors, capacitors and power supplies for high performance end uses primarily in defense, aerospace, communications, and industrial applications.
Senior Financial Analyst / Budget Manager
Managed all aspects of corporate treasury including banking relationships, cash, and risk management during a period of significant growth. Developed quantitative foreign exchange management model to neutralize exposures and minimize financial statement impact of fluctuating exchange rates. Developed first sophisticated global budgeting model consolidating all international subsidiaries.
AIR PRODUCTS AND CHEMICALS, INC., ALLENTOWN, PA
1980 – 1984
Air Products is a $10 billion global manufacturer and distributor of industrial gases and chemicals serving a variety of industries including aerospace, energy, electronics, metals, and pharmaceuticals.
Financial Analyst / Senior Accountant / Senior Treasury Analyst
Hired into Career Development Program for fast-track MBAs. Program consisted of multiple assignments (approximately 9 months each) in internal audit, corporate treasury, and polyvinyl alcohol business unit. Performed operational audits of two chemical facilities, assisted in the development of a consolidated cash flow forecasting model and monitored complex debt covenants.
Boston University – Graduate School of Management
Master of Business Administration – Accounting/Finance
University of Massachusetts – Isenberg School of Management
Bachelor of Business Administration – Accounting
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Awarded by the Institute of Management Accountants
Pan Mass Challenge – Multi-Year Team Rider
Cumulative “Jaunt for Jake” team fund raising – $427,000 since 2011.